Merchant Gourmet Polenta is based on a Northern Italian storecupboard staple. This fine, corn based grain has a a slightly sweet flavour and rich yellow, yolk-like colour.
- Cooks in one minute.
- Vegan & vegetarians friendly.
- Suitable for use in both sweet & savoury recipes.
- Free from artificial colourings, flavourings & preservatives.
- Can be served creamy, in fried pieces, or baked within cakes.
Merchant Gourmet Polenta is ideal as a creamy mash-like substance or as a crispy coating for chicken. Free from artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives, it is also suitable for vegetarians and vegans alike.
Merchant Gourmet are all about the food. Itâ€™s what they love and what they live for! And itâ€™s this passion for exciting flavours and new ingredients which drove them in the very beginning. Merchant Gourmet launched back in 1985, inspired by a nationâ€™s growing appetite for unique, innovative foods. Merchant Gourmet were one of the first to bring exciting ingredients such as Dried Porcini Mushrooms, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Puy Lentils to the masses.
Directions of Use
Polenta is corn meal, thatâ€™s to say it is ground up sweetcorn (or â€œmaizeâ€). There are three sorts of ways you can use it:
- Cook it and let it set into a sort of loaf, then use it as the base for bruschetta or canapÃ©s. (You can add herbs or stock before cooking if you like.) Grilling it with some bacon and Dolcelatte on top makes a brilliant lunch
- Use it to make your cornmeal porridge, popular in Caribbean cooking. Ours will cook in 1 minute
- Use it like breadcrumbs to coat chicken or skinned sausages before cooking. You get a nice crispy coating, and kids love it
- Chop set Polenta into small cubes and deep fry. Allow to cool and use as croutons in soups and salads
- Add some flavour to your Polenta by adding grated Parmesan, fresh herbs, pesto or sun dried tomatoes during cooking
- Mix soft polenta with pesto and line a tart tin, leave to set. Once firm, fill with your favourite tart fillings â€“ we love using cheese, peppers, onion or ham
- Chop set polenta into cubes and thread onto kebab skewers, alternate the Polenta with SunBlushÂ® Tomatoes and chunks of halloumi cheese, than grill on the barbecue
Store in a cool, dry place.
Allergen Information: Contains Maize semolina.
Maize Semolina (100%).