What is Shrove Tuesday?
Shrove Tuesday is also known as Pancake Day – it is the day before Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent. It is celebrated throughout the UK by the cooking and eating of pancakes - a last feast before the fasting and self-denial of Lent.
The earliest records of pancakes and pancake tossing appeared in the fifteenth century when pancakes were a little thicker than the modern pancake. It wasn’t until the eighteenth century and the influence of French cooking and their thin crepes that pancakes are now cooked as we know them now.
In celebration for Shrove Tuesday we thought you may enjoy this wonderful recipe.
We hope you all have a brilliant day,
Let’s get Flipping!
Egg, Dairy & Gluten Free Pancakes
- 125g Gluten Free Plain Flour.
- Egg Replacer – equivalent to 1 whole egg.
- 250ml Hemp Milk.
- Sunflower or another alternative Oil, for frying.
- Your choice of topping or filling, to serve.
We do also sell a range of Pancake Mixes if you prefer.
Preparations: 5 Minutes.
Cooking: 25 Minutes (plus cooling).
Serves: 6 Small Pancakes.
- Put the flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Pour in the egg replacer and a quarter of the milk.
- Use an electric whisk to thoroughly combine the mixture, then beat in another quarter of the milk.
- Once lump free, mix in the remaining milk. Leave to rest for 20 minutes. Stir again before using.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan with a splash of oil.
- When hot pour a small amount of the mixture into the pan and swirl around to coat the base – you want a thin layer.
- Cook for a few minutes until golden brown on the bottom, then turn over and cook until golden on the other side.
- Repeat until you have used all the mixture, stirring the mixture between pancakes and adding more oil to the frying pan as necessary.
- Serve with your chosen topping or filling.
Tip: Hemp milk is a nutritious milk substitute that has a slightly sweet flavour. It lends itself well to sweet pancake fillings.