Gluten Free Orange & Black Halloween Cupcakes
These Halloween cupcakes are mottled with orange and black, making an awesome display once you bite them open.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 22 minutes
Makes: 12 cupcakes.
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free plain flour.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 1-1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum.
- 1 cup sugar.
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 6 drop orange food colouring (or more to get the colour you want).
- 8 drop black food colouring (or more to get the colour you want).
- Buttercream frosting.
- Place rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350°F (176°C).
- Place cupcake liners in a pan large enough to hold 12 cupcakes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, beat together sugar and eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed. Mix for about one minute.
- To sugar and egg mixture, use a spoon to gently stir in oil, milk, and vanilla.
- Add the dry flour ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat with an electric mixer for one minute at medium speed.
- Divide batter into two equal portions, pouring them into two separate bowls. Into one half of the batter mix the orange food colouring and beat well. Into the second half mix the black food colouring and beat well.
- Using large spoons - such as tablespoons or soup spoons - start layering the coloured batters into the cupcake cups until they are 2/3 full. Take a butter knife and gently swirl the colours together a tiny bit. Don't mix them too much, or you will just end up with grey cupcakes! The key is to just create a few swirls within the batter so that they look interested when you bites into them.
- Place pan in oven on centre rack. Bake for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for five minute before removing cupcakes from pan. Allow cupcakes to cool completely on rack before frosting.
- Pipe on buttercream frosting. Decorate with Halloween decorations of your choice.