Gluten Free Halloween Soul Cakes
These little cakes are a cross between a biscuit and a scone and were traditionally made for All Souls’ Day (Halloween)- it is said they were given to the poor in exchange for prayers and song – similar to trick or treating !
Makes: 12 Cakes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes.
- 175g butter (6ozs).
- 175g caster sugar (6ozs).
- 3 egg yolks.
- 450g gluten free plain flour (1lb).
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice.
- 100g currants (4oz).
- a little milk to mix.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/375F/Gas mark 5. Cream the butter and sugar together and then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Sift the flour into another bowl with the mixed spice and then add them to the butter, sugar and egg yolk mixture.
- Stir in the currants and add enough milk to make a soft dough, similar to scones.
- Roll the dough out and cut out little cakes with a biscuit cutter. Mark each cake with a cross and then place them on a greased and/or lined baking sheet.
- Bake the cakes for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and the store in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.