" Don't take a break from washing your hands - pick up the soap not an illness "
The National Campaign run by the World Health Organisation on May 5th each year aims to maintain a global profile on the importance of hand hygiene primarily in the healthcare setting but we would like to remind you of the importance of following the same principles in your own home. Most health care acquired infections are preventable through good hand hygiene - cleaning hands at the right time and in the right way.
Regular handwashing before and after certain activities is one of the best ways to avoid getting sick and preventing spread of germs to others. It's quick, simple and can prevent us from getting sick. The following are some of the times when it is important to follow a handwashing routine:
- Before, during and after preparing food.
- Before eating food.
- After going to the toilet.
- Before and after caring for someone who is sick.
- Before and after treatimng a wound.
- Before and after changing a nappy.
- After blowing nose, coughing or sneezing when you have an infection.
- After touching animals, animal waste or pet food.
- After touching rubbish or working in the garden.
Follow this simple routine:
- Wet hands with clean, running water and apply soap or a handwash
- Lather by rubbing hands together and payiong attention to backs of hands, betwwen fingers and under nails using a nail brush if required.
- Rinse thoroughly under running water.
- Dry using clean towel or air drier.
Make it your business to ensure every member of your household including children are aware of the importance of hand hygiene and encourage any visitorsto do the same.
It is also important to use the hand sanitisers available if you are atending a hospital appointment or visitting a person in hospital.
Please take some time to look at our wide range of soaps, handwashes and hand sanitisers to suit your needs and preferences - we even do some specifically designed for children. You may like to go the extra mile and buy some hand cream to keep your hands hydrated and looking lovely !!